Thursday, September 10, 2015

Never Forget







Kids lunches: M has salad with grilled chicken, freeze dried banana chips, applesauce carrot squeezer, and popcorn. Olivia's is ham rolled up, freeze dried blueberries, tomatoes, applesauce, rice cake with peanut butter. 
Breakfasts: Markus (upside down!) has traditional farm fresh scrambled eggs and applegate farms bacon, chamomile tea with local honey and a little cream, and half a banana. Olivia gets a bowl of organic cheerio-like cereal, sausage from Griggstown farms, half a banana and homemade organic hot chocolate.
Dinner: (Olivia's plate show - she eats like a bird!) was home made 'fried' chicken, roasted mini potatoes and fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. 

The photos of the kids food is documentation of my commitment to making time and prioritizing their health this school year - they are not completely random and there is a point in why I posted them. There are a lot of thoughts tonight that I have been stewing over for the past week. In short, I will get to the point in this post...it just might be a longer route to arrive there.

Tomorrow is 9/11. This reality had come up a few times this week in passing with people in my life and I had clearly acknowledged the date. However, tonight, when Bill reminded me of it again, I had already 'forgotten'. We like to post an appropriate photo to the blog on days like this or any memorial days out of respect and honoring those lives lost. It took him reminding me tonight that we needed to put a 9/11 Never Forget photo up to 'remember' that it was tomorrow.

The irony in that - Never Forget. But we do. We forget a lot of things because we are busy. We are all so freaking busy. And don't forget how important we are - important and busy. This week that was exactly what I had been fighting - how busy I was and how overwhelmed I was with life and stress. I do consider myself an aware person who tries to work on continued self improvement, but it seemed like each day was groundhog day in that all I could do was survive the list of tasks and to-dos.

One of the areas that I have been working on to battle this feverish state has been the general notion of making time for life. I have been reminding myself of being in the moment. I am NOT too busy to make my kids a healthy breakfast and put on some calm music to start their day right. I am NOT too busy to go out in the garden and pull weeds, trim basil plants and pick our tomatoes and I am NOT in too much of a rush to let a person pull out in front of me on the way to work. The list can go on - to taking the time to help friends, to sitting in yoga and not being anxious about where to go next. 

The excuse of being busy is dead. It's overused. We make time for what is important to us. Period. As we embark on the nutrition challenge/ orientation etc. this is something that I know will come up. The excuse of the effort and the time. It's "too hard" or "I'm too busy". If you say so.

Ironically we are all finding the time to compare ourselves to everyone else and to discuss how hard things are and why we CAN'T do them. We also spend a fair amount of time working on achieving perfection and 'normalcy' versus just accepting who we are. As I was brushing Olivia, my 8-year old daughter's hair the other morning, she was telling me that there is no such thing as 'normal' or 'perfect'. She went on to say how it's impossible since we are all ourselves. What a profound and simple thought. 

I guess the message is to spend less time on the bullshit - the perfection, the comparison, the excuses, the busyness. Spend more time saying 'yes' and "I appreciate____", and "this is easy". Tomorrow is a reminder to Never Forget - never forget those whose lives where lost and the families for whom tomorrow is a day of hell reminding them of losing their father, mother, brother, son, daughter, husband, wife. Never forget the attack on this country and what the after affects and sacrifice has been from our military since. But also never forget that you are alive and you can choose to not be too busy to appreciate every day.

Make more time and less excuses. Never Forget.







1 comment: