Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Diary stalking and focus


Still one of my favorite summer treats...cold brew with a little half and half topped with 2 TB whipped cream

Made a tray of these bad boys last week for the kids. Hadn't had them in years. Was a nice blast from the past.

Kids at the pool enjoying some packed lunch that ended with a homemade M&M chocolate chip cookie each

Today a good friend of mine made an interesting statement about the need to stay focused on yourself in any kind of nutrition challenge or even in terms of performance. CrossFit is naturally a competitive environment and as much as we all like to say that it's all support and only about encouraging each other, it can get a little more spicy than that. I do believe, it's not for any other reason than our Type A personalities and our desire to be 'better', but at what cost?

Focusing on others' diaries or progress as motivation, encouragement or even as a template to follow, is understandable. However, when it becomes a distraction from your own goals, it's counter productive.

I have spent a lot of my adult life comparing and worrying that everyone else was doing a better job than I was. In addition, second guessing my approach is something I often fall captive to. Should I be doing it 'this' way or 'that' way...should I be eating 'cleaner' or not having any alcohol at all, and the list goes on.

Commit, find your stride and then focus on doing the best job to serve your own goals. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Try that...see how it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment