Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Give of yourself


"There are 3 things you should do everyday and if you do these things everyday of our lives we're going to have a wonderful life. Number 1 is laugh...you should laugh every day, Number 2 is think...you should spend some time in thought. And Number 3 is that you should have your emotions moved to tears. If you laugh, you think and you cry then that's a full day. If you do that 7 days a week, you're going to have something special."

There are many times in a week and sometimes in a day that I question myself. Many times it is over less significant things like whether or not I'm putting too much thought into my food or letting the Macros take over my life. But mostly it is about bigger and more critical issues - am I making the right choices, am I holding a standard that is important, am I doing right by people.

These answers aren't always self evident and various situations can certainly take me down a road of considerations. However, I was reminded today about a mantra I often forget about that has a blanket 'resolve' to most of them: Give of yourself.

What does that mean? Giving of yourself doesn't mean sacrificing everything all the time and leaving nothing remaining for you or your family. But, it does mean that you need to keep going. Often in these trying conundrums you need to give more than you thought it required. Keep going, keep moving...the reward takes some work and effort.

With any challenge you face, be it your nutritional goals and trying to hit your numbers or be it work or a personal goal, or maybe it's a workout that is breaking you....the reward is often a little more out of reach than we think. We get into situations thinking our reward is within sight and that it 'won't be that bad'. But, when it's harder than we thought, or the workout is longer than expected, heavier than anticipated...what's the answer?

Give of yourself and keep going. There is no turning back, the answer lays ahead. Put that foot in front of the other and keep making progress. The job, whatever it may be, if it's worth anything, requires it.

No comments:

Post a Comment