Sunday, June 28, 2015

What's next?


Made a great meal tonight and was grateful to be cooking.: grilled wild rainbow trout with lentils from Trader Joe's (pre cooked and easy to heat up tossed with some shaved parmesan, grass fed butter and herbs), topped with avocado and mint. 

Although this is NOT my photo of what I ate, it's damn near what I had at Urban Table this morning for Tommy's birthday brunch. They had a breakfast bowl with brown rice and quinoa topped with avocado, pico de gallo, bacon and sunny side up egg. To have more control over the macros and make them work better for my needs I skipped the bacon, asked for a poached egg and then when it arrived, separated out the 'excess' grains that were beyond about 1 serving.

Unfortunately it ended up not being that much food since I was still hungry when I got home!!! Was fine though because it was delicious and I was social and ate with everyone. Then after getting home I made this snack before I got started on some work: 2 slices Ezekial bread (cinnamon raisin), 2 slices maple turkey breast from Trader Joes and 1 TB Cashew butter from Trader Joes.

It is easy to take for granted your kitchen "space" and the ability to cook at home. Typically we all look forward to meals out and restaurants become the real luxury. However, it is something to appreciate to have a home, a kitchen, a space where you can control what you are eating AND a place that you are at peace with. Tonight being back in our kitchen and with the foods I like and that are healthy was a relief. Bill is still in TN and I owe it to him to be appreciative and take time to be aware of this true 'luxury'. I am looking forward to being on track with food this week that I am making and enjoying both the process of cooking and eating.

Today marks the official end of our first G60 challenge. Going through some of the testimonials, hearing peoples' successes, seeing their smiling faces in their 'after' pictures...it's made my day.

It's not because I helped someone get leaner or fit into a skinny pair of jeans...that's great and always a bonus, but it was because they stuck it out through this process and it ended up changing their lives. It was an experiment that was about choices and commitment. For many of us there is a fear that we will fail when faced with a challenge or put ourselves in a position to achieve a goal.

This challenge, opens doors of possibility for people who completed it. There is a 'what's next?' process that follows and a pride in ourselves that can lead to more goals and more success. Success breeds success.

"When you set a goal of such distant possibility and reach it, you gain an insight into what it takes that lasts the rest of your lift" (Pat Summitt)

So...what's' next?

No comments:

Post a Comment