Sunday, May 31, 2015

Two steps forward


All ready for Monday morning. Quest bar to fuel me through my surprise coaching at the 615am and then a Progenex for post workout that will follow. Setting up for success to just grab and go and ensure enough time to stop for Starbucks!


I had somehow not remembered HOW GREAT Trader Joe's is until today. Yes, 5 bags of groceries that included tons of organic produce, meats, eggs, the works...all for $152???? It was amazing.


I'm kicking off week 3 from when I jumped into this challenge and I am happy to report that I feel that I am making progress. Often the weekends come and while we might have taken two steps forward the week prior, we end up going 2 steps back in the 2 short days that make up the weekend. However, tonight at the close of a weekend, I feel like I took the two steps forward and did not retreat back.

I feel like around 2 weeks something happens - both in the chemistry of our bodies as well as in our minds. The severe attachment and reliance on food lessens. Tonight I took a moment to appreciate that I was indifferent about having a 'treat' after dinner. It didn't phase me to walk away from it. A month ago it would be a battle...and likely one I would lose.

I hope all of you reading this blog are realizing that my food and 'diet' is not perfection everyday. But it's generally very good quality food and balanced. Getting that balance back has enabled me to not feel the highs and lows and severe cravings followed by over indulging. 

Today was an emotional day and I didn't associate my feelings or being sad with wanting to eat. So that is a great success. I definitely attribute a fair amount of that to my training this week as well. I had consistency and a schedule set forth. Knowing I have a workout to do tomorrow am or on any given day helps me to want to feel good during it. To have the fueling set so that I can focus on the work.

For those of you who follow the CrossFit Games and Regionals, this weekend was the Central Region where Julie Foucher was competing. Julie has been 100% committed this year to her training. She has been an animal bc this year was her last year of attempting to win the CF Games as she has recently finished med school and won't have time to commit to training. She will be closing that chapter of her life after this year. 

However...she partially tore her achilles on the box jump workout on day 2. Devastation. She continued to compete, in a smart way, through the remainder of the weekend and still finished 8th in her region. This, however, was not what was most impressive. It was her attitude. It was her ability to not completely come unraveled. 

That determination and spirit makes me realize what we are truly capable of as humans. So, this week, try to put things in perspective and know you are capable of greatness and achieving so much more than you may give yourself credit for. From the little things of resisting a cookie to the big life changing challenges that come your way.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for this. Made me think about a lot of things. You've talked a lot about perfection. I think for me that's not as much of an issue--totally on board with the 80% rule when I'm eating better. But what I've noticed as somewhat of an issue when I'm not doing well is reward and punishment. And using food for these purposes.

    The Julie Foucher thing was heartbreaking. You and I talked about this a lot, but figured I'd post this here for whoever else may be struck by it. In the pilot episode of the TV version of Friday Night Lights, the star quarterback is hit and paralyzed. There's a very powerful scene at the end where the coach goes to see him in the hospital and he is saying a prayer as a voiceover. It has always hit me powerfully. This is the prayer:

    Give all of us gathered here tonight the strength to remember that life is so very fragile. We are all vulnerable, and we will all at some point in our lives fall. We will all fall. We must carry this our hearts: that what we have is special. That it can be taken from us. And when it is taken from us we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. We will now all be tested. It is these times, it is this pain, that allows us to look inside ourselves.

    ReplyDelete