Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Struggle

Progenex shake today for breakfast... last night we took the kids to ice cream and since then I've been craving a shake! This hit the spot! 1 scoop PB Smash Progenex + 1/3 banana + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk + ice. Voila - delicous!!!!

Made my lunch to bring to work today. I'm obsessed with the Coconut Rice recipe (thanks to Heather Bergeron!). 1 egg cooked over easy + 1 egg white thrown on top of a generous (2/3 cup?) coconut rice...amazing. Coconut rice is 1 TB grassfed butter + 1 cup coconut milk + 1 cup water + 1 cup white rice...goes with EVERYTHING!

Recently we've started watching Lost, the old TV show, from the very beginning. Bill had never seen it and I was a huge fan. In the episode we watched last night, one of the characters is battling withdrawal from an addiction. One of the more shrewd and wise characters shows him a cocoon on a tree and says, "You see this little hole? This moth's just about to emerge. It's in there right now, struggling. It's digging it's way through the thick hide of the cocoon. Now, I could help it - take my knife, gently widen the opening, and the moth would be free - but it would be too weak to survive. Struggle is nature's way of strengthening it. Now this is the second time you've asked me for your drugs back... ask me again, and it's yours."

This resonated on many levels with me, but I thought about how this applies to this nutrition challenge in particular. The struggle is on many levels - fighting addiction, habit, peer pressure, emotions...it's not just about the food.

To never struggle with a workout or with nutrition, to never face the discomfort, is to never adapt. It is a strange sense of comfort and relief to think of that when you ARE faced with the temptation, frustration or struggle. To know that those moments are what make you more capable, more able and are aiding in your progress. 

One specific reminder that is crucial for me in the notion of food and making good decisions is to remind myself that anything worth something in life doesn't come easy. But the reward is always tremendous. I invite each of you to take some time today to reflect on where you are in the challenge compared to where you set out to be. 

If you are not 'on track', don't beat yourself up! Just acknowledge what shifts you need to make and where you may have succumb to the 'struggle'. What plan can you take to get back to where you want to be? 



No comments:

Post a Comment